Zzabur and Friends

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:49:11 +0000

Peter Metcalfe and Trotsky say (I can't work out which is which, unfortunately)

> >>I don't think Zzabur would acknowlege Kyger Litor (or High King
> >>Elf) as being a immortal of equivalent status to himself. Rather
> >>he would treat it as an impersonal force or whatnot.
>
> >While I would have said the same thing until recently, the new
> >material that Greg read at Convulsion seemed to contradict this.
> >Greg said that "Zzabur remembers a time when he was on an equal
> >footing with Yelm and the other great immortals" or words to that
> >effect.

> Even then the higher forms of these gods would have still been
> apparent. While Ehilm was walking around on earth, the Sun
> would have been shining in the Sky. And I still doubt that he
> would have understood Kyger Litor or High King Elf to be Immortals
> as they are not even human. Any Darkness Immortal would have looked
> more like Dame Darkness rather than a Mistress Race Uz.

Ah, but you are looking at things from a modern perspective. The Ancient Brithini (Malkion, Zzabur and their contemporaries) were the equal of the Gods. Malkion himself is a direct descendant of the Storm Gods and the Water Gods. His son Waertag married a Water Goddess. Zzabur met with and helped/fought many of the Deities of the God Time. He merely thought of them as equals, people like him. After all, it is hard to think of someone as "an impersonal force" when you have eaten with them.

It is only recently, I would say after Time began or certainly after the Old Brithini had been killed, that the Brithini deny the existence of these deities (if indeed they do). I would prefer to believe that the Brithini believe that these deities are actual entities who are worshipped by the foolish. Other Malkioni have a watered-down theory of demons and false gods, IMO.

Of course, if you believe that the Cults of Terror cosmologies are written from a theist perspective and do not hold for Malkioni/Brithini then this argument falls down. In that case, Zzabur would think of the other Deities in the GodTime as "People just like us who went bad and formed cults for others to worship". Either way, the Gods are no more powerful in essence than Zzabur, Malkion and Waertag, for instance.

See Ya

Simon Phipp