Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #146

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:06:31 +0500
> From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
> Subject: Brian Tickler's Portents of Doom
>
> Brian said (v6 #28):
> > The process you (and all of us) are witnessing is the long, slow, painful
> > death of RuneQuest and Glorantha...
>
> and gave a number of alarmist reasons why he thought so. I think enough
> people have already conclusively demonstrated that much of what Brian is
> claiming is wildly innaccurate (ie "fan-published materials fading fast") or
> barking non sequitors ("proliferating LARPS" will cause the death of
> Glorantha? huh?).

I've already explained the misunderstanding about "fan-published materials"...as for the "proliferating LARPS" statement, it means nothing when you take away the "RPG campaigns dying off" part of the same statement. What I meant was that you need a strong RPG campaign scene, even if it's RQ, to still be active by the time HW comes out...I don't think reviving the community will be possible if this is not true. I don't think there will be many new customers without a big push from the current community. LARPs are an even more "marginalized" activity than RPGs in general, and won't be much help to force the new game to expand...that's all I was pointing out.

> >- - Prominent digest personalities posting less and less (MOB, for example)
> > or disappearing entirely (Sandy)
>
> I won't speak for Sandy, but in my case, yes it is true that I have not been
> as active on the Digest lately. I can give you a whole pile of mundane and
> prosaic reasons why if you like. However, in the last twelve months I have
> also:

I wasn't implying that you weren't active elsewhere...merely that seeing some of the more prolific posters being less active causes concern...sorry for using you as the only example, but I could have used Stephen Martin or several others. People can draw the same type of conclusions from the ToTRM announcement...yes, these conclusions can be wrong, but my whole point was one about perception of the Gloranthan community's health, and in this case perception is more important than reality...

As for the web site comment, which I've just accidently deleted but that chided me about how easy it is to make a website, I believe I've already covered that topic too...I have a very nice website, actually...it's averaged about 1000 hits a month over its first 5 months in operation...it's just not a Glorantha website, that's all (and I've pointed out the reasons for that too)...

> So please don't judge what I've been up to supporting our hobby merely by my
> presence or lack thereof on the Digest. I am in fact more optimistic about
> the future of gaming in Glorantha now than I have been for a very long time,
> and like to think I'm still doing my bit. I'll give my thoughts about Hero
> Wars in a following post.

I didn't actually judge anything concerning your contributions to the community (either in my head or in my post)...sorry if you got that impression...I have a great deal of respect for your accomplishments as it turns out :)...