Malkioni Maunderings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:58:42 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Phipp:

Me>> Even then the higher forms of these gods would have still been
>> apparent. While Ehilm was walking around on earth, the Sun
>> would have been shining in the Sky. And I still doubt that he
>> would have understood Kyger Litor or High King Elf to be Immortals
>> as they are not even human. Any Darkness Immortal would have looked
>> more like Dame Darkness rather than a Mistress Race Uz.

>Ah, but you are looking at things from a modern perspective. The
>Ancient Brithini (Malkion, Zzabur and their contemporaries) were the
>equal of the Gods.

No. The myth stated they were equals of other immortals. The question is what was understood by the status of immortals?

>Malkion himself is a direct descendant of the Storm Gods and the
>Water Gods. His son Waertag married a Water Goddess.

Which is not what Zzabur remembers it, namely that Malkion the Immortal is a devolution of a higher Malkion who is a devolution of Malkion the Creator. Furthermore Waertag is merely said in ML to have been the son of a mermaid and a brithini _sorcerer_.

>Zzabur met with and helped/fought many of the Deities of the
>God Time. He merely thought of them as equals, people like him. After
>all, it is hard to think of someone as "an impersonal force" when you
>have eaten with them.

One notes that the False Gods presents a different image.

        'FALSE GODS

        According to ancient Malkioni History, wicked sorcerers
        learnd to control great magical powers and intertwined
        their souls with Nature's forces to become creatures now
        worshipped by lesser beings.'
                               Prosopaedia p6

It is clear from this that there is a distinction between the 'wicked sorcerers'-cum-Immortals and the natural forces/impersonal forces that they control.

To illustrate matters, returning to the Devolution schematic insofar as I understand it:

  1. The Prime Mover. Creation of the Universe aka The One Mind or The Good God.
  2. Natural Impersonal Forces. Sun, Storm, Earth, Darkness, Water, Death etc.
  3. Immortals embodying those forces: Ehilm, Worlath, Humct etc plus Malkioni and his sons.
  4. Us Mortals.

Now does a Malkioni when he thinks of a God, does he think of an entity in stage 2 (ie impersonal forces) or stage 3 (ie humanoid immortals)? Is it thus credible for Zzabur to say that he is the equal of the Gods? If the Gods are really Impersonal Forces then IMO the answer is no.

>It is only recently, I would say after Time began or certainly after
>the Old Brithini had been killed, that the Brithini deny the
>existence of these deities (if indeed they do). I would prefer to
>believe that the Brithini believe that these deities are actual
>entities who are worshipped by the foolish. Other Malkioni have a
>watered-down theory of demons and false gods, IMO.

The problem is that the Brithini are fanatically unchanging and we can be sure that what Zzabur believed in the year -14, 825 ST (when the sun went down), the Brithini still believe today and certainly did when Zzabur was still around. Since Zzabur only vanished in 929 ST (and unconfirmed reports of his existance since that time are known), it seems resonable to assume that the Brithini PoV has not changed over the Great Darkness.