HW stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:35:49 +0100 (BST)

Allen Wallace says (in the increasingly popular 100-column format):
> On your point on the 9'th level Paladin versus the normals [...]
> this has nothing to do with the much vilified bump-up versus Ords. [...]
> The rockets go off when a level of mastery is gained in a generally
> useful ability.

I don't follow. What's the key difference between a PC having a bump-up vs. "Ords", and someone with Mastery over someone (though a non-Ord) without? (I mean in terms of how it plays out, not the rationale for having it, before that apparently-futile discussion recommences.)

> At that point, that character's rate
> of advancement far outstrips those lesser mortals.

Why's that? You mean you're managing to get more Plot Points, that you don't have to spend them so fast, or for some other reason?

> Rolls become safer

I take it you're referring to the fact that if you have a bump-up, you can't fumble. Yes, I'd agree this is a weakness, though a minor (and fixable) one. (Keen students of RPG taxonomy will notice Pendragon exhibits exactly the same behaviour.)

Of course, if you're up against someone who also has a level of Mastery, bang goes that bump-up.

> Starting characters are more at the squire level than
> most seem to feel.

Well, if you equate "perhaps not _quite_ a 'Rune Level' yet" with "squire", I guess.

Slainte,
Alex.