Gloranthan Souls

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:06:42 +1200 (NZST)

Jonathan Coxhead:

> "You have a soul, which is a part of you that is eternal. When you
>die, that is but a part of a journey to the next phace of being" etc
>etc etc.

> This is part of the Christian tradition (or "repressive reactionary
>bollocks", as is known among us unbiased observers :-). Why has [the
>belief in the soul] become Gloranthan orthodoxy (on the Digest, anyway).

Most gloranthans do believe that there is a part that lives after death. Look at the 'What the Priests Say' in Gods of Glorantha. They disagree on the particulars (naturally).

Michael Cule:

JC>>Who says souls are recycled?

>Just about everyone except the Malkioni (and not all of those disagree).

The Orlanthi do not believe in reincarnation. The Merfolk do not believe in any afterlife and several religions that believe in reincarnation have ways to exit this cycle, namely the Lunars, Praxians and Kralori. IMO the Teshnans are also such a culture but they reincarnate lifeflames and not souls.

>Yes. But I've tended to assume that Souls exist because the Gloranthans
>have skills and spells to manipulate souls, detect them and 'prove'
>their objective existence.

But the fact that souls exist does not prove that souls are eternal. In particular, what you call a soul is believed by the Doraddi to be the breath portion of a person. That is capable of dying and then the 'mind and spirit' go to sit on Pamalt's Council.