RE: Hero Wars

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_pheasnt.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:05:48 GMT

mob writes:
>Of the game itself, there are perhaps two main concerns I have based on
>things I enjoyed about gaming in Glorantha using RQ. =20
>
>I like the way Hero Wars places a much greater emphasis on non-combat
>interactions, but I still want a game system that, like RQ, meant - just=
 as
>in real life (and not necessarily in "Xena") - even the mighty could =
fall
>from a jab by the third spear carrier on the left, a lucky blow from the
>meanest peasant, or a knife in the arras.=20

In the session of 'Black Spear' I played in at Convulsion 4 exactly this happened. The Humakti Death Lord attempted a fancy maneuver to take out one of the peasants (against whom player characters get a column shift, so it's doubly embarrassing) botched it spectacularly and was knocked down.=20

Now perhaps it's going to be more rare than in 'reality' but if so then all I can say is 'Yar Boo Sucks to reality'. I Can visit reality any day of the week. Without making any effort.=20

The other thing that was notable, and impressed me a lot, was the following round when the Vinga woman threw 32 action points into an attack on a peasant and the rest of us are there going 'My God she's trying to kill him!' A game about warriors where most fights don't wind up with a pile of corpses is something to be applauded.

But in the end, publishing schedule's going to be the important thing.

Driving for Loons
The American Southwest: Too many miles in too few days http://www.pheasnt.demon.co.uk/Driving.html