Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #151

From: Arf <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:01:16 +0100

I have given Julian Lord worms....

> > More likely straight into their minds. Which makes me ask, is mindspeech
> > language-specific?
>
> Mindspeech yes, Mindlink no.
>
> > a) If it is; how do intelligent animals that communicate to their masters this
> > way learn to speak the relevant language?

> Intelligent animals communicate with ... transference of concepts... This
> is a magical language,

IMO this isn't a language at all. A language is highly-developed form of communication with specific sounds (or letters/signs) that have specific meanings.

If the animal can communicate with a language however, it could be more specific and send a *message* rather than a *concept*. Frex: "I smell Broo hiding above". With the ability to transfer only *concepts* via mindspeech, the master may receive a communication of the impression "enemy" or "danger" and receive no other clue.

> This kind of mental contact is known by many as "Spirit Speech".
> Sorcerors call it telepathy.

Hmmm.. my view of Spirit Speech is slightly different from yours, it seems. I agree that this is a magical language, but a much more sophisticated form of communication than you describe. IMG all inhabitants of the Spirit Plane have a common language, which may be learned by the visiting shaman. I don't think Spirit Speech is a form of mental communication.

> So, a man with a fox ally would gradually become more and more fox-like,
> while the fox would gradually be humanised.

Interesting idea, but (IMO) the ally would have to have a powerful influence, like a Hsuchen totem.

> But, if you use Mindspeech as a means of communication with someone who shares a
> common spoken language and culture, the flow of concepts is easy and fairly
> unhindered.

Agreed, hence the original question.

> Direct communication of concepts from spirit to spirit is possible in Glorantha
> partially because of the physical nature of these things.

> > b) If it isn't (language specific) why don't more people communicate this way?
>
> Because the spiritual link needed is usually only possible via clunky magical
> methods.

OK, I can see this

> Because it is a fairly inefficient method, unless you happen to be a fully
> trained shaman.

For your version, yes.

> Because the Harmony of the Golden Age of Glorantha, when such methods of
> communication were routine, and easy, has been forever shattered by the coming
> of Evil.

Hey, I like this idea! Did all the people/animals/creatures of Glorantha speak freely the same language to each other before the coming of chaos?

Simon Hibbs:

> >IMO the idea of the Geas/Gift system (in game terms) is to stop the >PC
> >from doing something they might normally do, in return for a nifty
> >skill/spell/bonus. ...<snip>... So in my jaundiced view, the Gift/Geas
> >thing is >just a role-playing device, though I do have to say
> >(pre-flame!) that I >think it's a good one.
>
> Absolutely, the fact that real world ancient religious practices (both
> then and now) involve the taking of vows should have no relevence to
> glorantha whatsoever. Obviously. (!?)

Every cult has is restrictions and vows, but none of these grants special powers to the follower (OK, there's Shaolin etc, but the skills aren't instantaneously granted, they're the result of physical and mental training). My point was that the Gift/Geas system is a tool designed to encourage role-playing of the PCs beliefs, but not a necessary one. Perhaps I didn't put it clearly:

If you have an experienced (orjust plain good) role-player who is creating a PC who for argument's sake is a Yelmalion. He takes note of his religious ideals, picks a couple of the more obvious for starters and plays them to the hilt, making all other PCs/players well aware of his devout faith. Here you have no need for the Gift/Geas system because he knows what his cult restrictions are and he sticks to them.

Then you have an inexperienced (or just plain bad) role-player who is creating another Yelmalion. He is not sure of how to put across all his PC's ideals, but he has this easy-to-understand and highly visible Gift/Geas set. This he can handle and play to his character's benefit, and this is where the system is useful.

Thats what I meant, though it was off-topic from Jane's post. I don't have a problem with cult vows, I was just questioning whether the game system to handle it was necessary. :-)

Arf
- --

 Computer Technician / PIP       Baggage Master / Webmaster
 University of Hertfordshire     Prince Rupert's Blew Regt of Foote
 01707 (28)5052                  01442 398131
 http://www.geocities.com/~pavis/