Re : Godtongue

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:29:38 +0100

>I thought theists had no trouble communicating with their deities
during
>religious ceremonies. Similarly (worship ceremony=hero quest), hero
>questers have (AFAIK) no problems talking to the entities they meet.
>Yet neither initiates nor (apparently) hero questers need learn new
>languages.

I don't know of any evidence that languages work any differently (in this context) during heroquests than they do normally.

>During a worship ceremony/hero quest, how DO participants >communicate?

During a worship ceremony, I assume you mean worshiping the gods of your own culture. Well, of course they'll understand your own language, they're your gods for goodness sake.

>I guess there are two possibilities: telephathy or solipsism. By
>solipsism I mean each participant perceives the entities as speaking
>the participant's own language (with suitable accents, I suppose).

I can imagine this happening I suppose. If a bunch of adventurers who don't speak a language in common (!?) were to arrive at the halls of the dead to be judged, I imagine they might each hear Daka Fal talking in their own language. But then if Daka Fal is the judge of the dead for each of them, obviously he knows their languages.

 Perhaps a god might understand the questor's language but refuse to speak it. Similarly, if a circumstance arrises where the god doesn't speak the heroquester's tongue, perhaps one of the deitie's servitor spirits does and will act as the voice of the god, perching on his shoulder and whispering sibilantly into his ear....

Such circumstances are an opportunity for further roleplaying and characterisation IMHO.

Simon Hibbs