Geasa vs. cult vows.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 01:46:58 +0100 (BST)

Arf:
> If you have an experienced (orjust plain good) role-player who is creating a
> PC who for argument's sake is a Yelmalion. He takes note of his religious
> ideals, picks a couple of the more obvious for starters and plays them to the
> hilt, making all other PCs/players well aware of his devout faith. Here you
> have no need for the Gift/Geas system because he knows what his cult
> restrictions are and he sticks to them.

A cursory examination of the Yelmalio (in particular) geas table will reveal that they're not simply religious ideals, or even over-zealous extrapolation thereof. Some of them are bordering on the contradictory (eat no bird meat, eat no meat but bird), and some of them are just _silly_ (wear no left leg armour???) when looked at as "ideals".

Clearly, I suggest, a geas is at least in part a Magical Effect (TM), too. Well, either that or one of the authors of the table did a lot of drugs back in the sixties. Or as the Illuminates amongst you might say "Both are equally correct".

I think it's Valid to regard a geas in a number of different ways, depending on the cult, the setting, and one's own personal "take". Such as: geas as Unfortunate side-effect of small-scale heroquest performed during Initiation (or otherwise); Geas as "the flip side of" a corresponding gift; geas as a prophetic/divinatory "recommendation" for how the character should behave; d) other.

I'm sure each of these have been drawn out at greater length on previous occassions, so I won't bother, right now. But none are merely identical to what the cult thinks all their members ought to be doing anyhow, you'll note.

Slan libh,
Alex.