Re: quest linguistics

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:34:11 -0800

> I don't know of any evidence that languages work any differently (in
> this context) during heroquests than they do normally.

Not evidence, just my interpretation, but in the heroquest I ran last night, each character heard supernaturals speaking in something that was a combination of every language they knew. One of the characters assumed this was Proto-Umathelan, but then he knew many Umathelan languages. (I think other players had different interpretations, one may even have guessed.)

I don't see communications problems in most myths or legends, so I don't think they should be a factor on quests. (Likewise, heroes of myths who go under water never seem to have trouble breathing, at least if they're invited into the undersea realms.)

Unless of course the inability to communicate is the obstacle to be overcome.