Fronelan Wisdom

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 19:51:40 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>A clarification first: It doesn't sound much like a Malkioni belief to cast
>Malkion, the central figure in the creed, in the role as the evil Lord of
>Matter.

He's doing no such thing IMO. He's distinguishing between the historical Malkion and the God Learner Cult of Malkion. Some Christians have similar attitudes with respect to the Historical Mary and the Catholic veneration of her.

>This made me think whether Estrekor identified "Malkion Evil Lord of Matter"
>with the God Learner Malkion in his theology. Since his own, pre-God Learner
>Fronelan Malkionism was of course good, he may have found the dualism in
>Malkionism based on "our good creed vs. their evil creed".

Dualism was not a philopshy that Estrekor thought of and said 'All Gods have a good side and a bad side'. Rather he answered a theological problem by recourse to what was now known as Dualism (ie there is a Good God and an Evil Lord of Matter). Afterwards, the Carmanians began to use the reasoning in his answer to other theological problems. In other words, Estrekor set the ball rolling.

AFAIK the Dualistic nature of Malkion comes later as the Magi found that Sorcery could be used for Evil Purposes. So to preserve their beliefs, they distanced their Supreme Being, Idovanus, from Sorcery and created the Good Malkion, using the extant solution of creating dualistic entities to explain anything, to explain the phenomenon of Sorcery.

>>So the One Mind of the Fronelans was called Malkion. And since
>>the One Mind was the Creator, we can conclude that the Fronelans
>>addressed the Creator as Malkion?

>Evidently not exclusively. We don't know whether the Fronelan pre-GL
>Malkioni addressed the Creator by a name at all.

I don't think this weighed on their minds at all very much. They would have been aware that the Big Guy was Malkion and not have given much of a toss about how the World was Created. Pretty much like the Orlanthi nowadays.

>Was Estrekor addressing the mistakes in pre-GL Malkionism or GL-tainted
>but still recognisably Fronelan Malkionism?

I think he was drawing up a traditional defense of his traditions. Before this, nobody cared much about how Malkion created the Cosmos, they just assumed that he had. Now the God Learners come along with a creed that this is how it was done. Thus to be in proper communion with the big guy, you have to do this and that as opposed to the silly things you did before We told you the Truth.

Estrekor is having none of this and so is defending the validity of traditional Fronelan beliefs by claiming that what the God Learners claim is the Creator is really the Demiurge. Naturally the Supreme Being that he has discovered happens to require certain rites which are, suprise, completely compatible with traditional Fronelan beliefs.

In short, he was a counter-reformationist to borrow from the RW parallel.