Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #155

From: SimonBray_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:32:10 EDT

Hi All,

 I am inclined to believe that all Weapon Thanes are supplied with a horse within Orlanthi society, this makes them stand out above the fyrd. The source of these horses is probably from the Hyaloring tribes, the Elmali clans and raids/trade upon the Grazelanders. The Fyrd are all unmounted, probably dressed in a simple leather haubrek, a hard hat and wielding a spear (swords or axes occasionally). The Weapon Thanes however only make up a minor percentage of the clans raisable army. In my campaign there are only 17 weapon thanes in a clan army of 181souls, that makes it about 10% of warriors owning horses. Each thane then commands around 10 warriors from the Fyrd. Occasionally they group together as a cavalry unit to fight mounted foes, but most of the time they fight like dragoons or mounted infantry. Their horses are held by Shield Boys (squires) while in combat.

 RE: Chariots.
 I thought only the Volsaxi used chariots these days. The Ralians as well perhaps.

 Cheers Simon.