RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #159

From: alwallac <alwallac_at_linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 98 12:10:49 -0700

>===== Original Message From The Glorantha Digest <glorantha_at_chaosium.com>
>
>Secondly the argument is not so much as concerned with expansion
>of empires but the increasing population density within certain
>areas.
>
>Taking the top five cultural areas.
>
>Kralorela: 11.1 million
>Barbarian Belt: 6.5 million (includes Esrolia)
>Peloria: 6.0 million
>Safelster and Tanisor: 5.2 million
>Loskalm: 3.2 million
> ----
> 32.0 million
>
>This is roughly 60% of the total population of Genertela. Four
>out of five cultures live on lands that have been continously
>inhabited since the Dawn and have not relied on expansion to
>fuel their population numbers. The lands in which the majority
>of the population of those cultures dwell are lands in which they
>have lived since the Dawn.

So essentially you are arguing against a huge increase in populations. I would guess that the Kralorelan style civilization would allow for the greatest increases in density while maintaining their culture, followed distantly by the far west, and Pelorian cultures. Actually this makes some sense. Kralorela in particular was supposed to have survived mostly intact, so may not have grown much at all. The barbarian belt would show the most impressive growth numbers, with occasional drastic reductions. The staid cultures having a calmer rate. I would expect these cultures to have social institutions to pull people out of the breeding pool. Historical methods are generally economic, but in Glorantha there may well be more interesting methods.

Any thoughts?

Allen

The line between genious and insanity is a fiction.