Re: Re : Godtongue

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:37:16 +0100 (BST)

Benedict Adamson deduces:
> So a group of hero questers speaking to each other are talking
> in Godtongue, or have not entirely become their gods, or Godtongue
> does not exist. Which is it?

I vote for "b) and c)", personally. However, I agree with several Previous Callers that mutual incomprehension ought not to feature on a quest (or at least, a Sufficiently Advanced Quest, whatever that is) unless it's a feature of the corresponding myth.

So if there's not mutual incomprehension, how exactly do entities communicate? I don't think it's something you can necessarily answer in Reductionist terms. You might say "it's a magical effect", or "it's Godtongue", but that's a non-explanation. I think that "Godtongue" is a tongue like "Godplace" is a "place", or "Godtime" is a "time". (That is, it isn't.)

Slainte,
Alex.