Re: Fronelan Wisdom

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 98 12:47 MET DST

Sorry that my intent to go to private channels with the other discussion failed. I'll make this one short:

Peter Metcalfe again:

Estrekor on Malkion Evil Lord of Matter:
>He's distinguishing between the
>historical Malkion and the God Learner Cult of Malkion.

Your identification of that instance with the Second Act sounded different.

>Dualism was not a philopshy that Estrekor thought of and said 'All
>Gods have a good side and a bad side'. Rather he answered a
>theological problem by recourse to what was now known as Dualism (ie
>there is a Good God and an Evil Lord of Matter).

Basically what I meant.

>Afterwards, the
>Carmanians began to use the reasoning in his answer to other
>theological problems. In other words, Estrekor set the ball rolling.

I guess the Carmanians were aided in this by the better part of the Spolite insights...

>AFAIK the Dualistic nature of Malkion comes later as the Magi found
>that Sorcery could be used for Evil Purposes.

Like, by the God Learners?

>>We don't know whether the Fronelan pre-GL
>>Malkioni addressed the Creator by a name at all.

>I don't think this weighed on their minds at all very much. They
>would have been aware that the Big Guy was Malkion and not have
>given much of a toss about how the World was Created. Pretty much
>like the Orlanthi nowadays.

By the same argument, you could say that the Telmori regard Telmor as creator of all the universe (I don't know, they might). If they didn't care, it can't have been of any importance. The God Learners did assign importance to this, didn't they?

>>Was Estrekor addressing the mistakes in pre-GL Malkionism or GL-tainted
>>but still recognisably Fronelan Malkionism?
<snip>

>In short, he was a counter-reformationist to borrow from the RW
>parallel.

My impression, too.