Western Scripts

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 18:00:14 +0800

        I'd just like to say a few words in defence of the idea that Western is ideographic (while not in any way wishing to deny the plausibility of the Western=Latin).

        I liked Western as an ideographic language for two main reasons 1) it seemed to make the idea that the runes (which are somewhat ideographic) originated in the West very natural and straightforward. and
2) I wished specifically to avoid the Latin parallel, as I like to stress the differences between the West and medieval Europe rather than the similarities. This is purely a matter of taste.

        Further to that, the ideographic case always just seemed a little bit more natural to me. Which is not to say that the Latin parallel is not plausible, it just doesn't do much for me.

        Cheers

                David

'...never support evil as a preferred lifestyle'

	-TSR Inc corporate standards
 	OldThinkers UnBellyFeel MoonWise! - Nick Brooke