Gloranthan constants on souls and chaos

From: Chris Bell <sartar18_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 06:10:52 PDT

UNIVERSAL CONSTANTS IN GLORANTHA I know that what I'm about to bring up will tread perilously close to the sobjectivist debate, but for my own edification I'd like to know what the majority of the Digest feels are phenomena that are relatively universal in Glorantha...

Chaos, and it's nature...what makes it bad from other "bad stuff"? Why are Broos more objectively vile or a problem than, say, trolls? Why is Dorastor a more objectively "bad" place on a cosmological level, than, say, Dagori Inkarth? What are differing Gloranthan beliefs in regards to Chaos? Chaos is often referred to as "anti-life" and "anti-existence", not merely disorder or violence. What makes the Chaos entities fo various cultures worse than, say, Umath and his brood?

Differing Gloranthan views on souls? I find this a very interesting thread that has developed from the whole Bat thread (which was fun too!) In CoT it mentions that deities and mortals feared Kajaobor more than death because Kajabor caused annihiliation so complete that an entity destroyed by him (it?) was often destroyed so completely that not even a name or any memory was left (this seems to be an attribute attributed to Chaos in general.) What are the views of the Orlanthi cultures, Pelorians/Lunars, Praxians, Westerners, Praxians, Doraddi, Teshnans, Fonritians,Elder Races, of souls and the afterlife, on their terms?

I'm of the feeling that Chaos is not a cultural belief, but a universal constant in Glorantha, although no doubt it's seen differently by different cultures. The issues concerning souls seem to be much more mutable. For example, Earth Cultures (Aldryami?) seem to believe in an identity-stripping form of reincarnation, while Monotheists hold belief in Solace in Glory.

Chris Bell