RE: Gloranthan constants on souls and chaos

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:10:00 -0400

Chris Bell wonders:

>Chaos, and it's nature...what makes it bad from other "bad stuff"? Why
>are Broos more objectively vile or a problem than, say, trolls? Why is
>Dorastor a more objectively "bad" place on a cosmological level, than,
>say, Dagori Inkarth? What are differing Gloranthan beliefs in regards
>to Chaos? Chaos is often referred to as "anti-life" and
>"anti-existence", not merely disorder or violence. What makes the
Chaos
>entities fo various cultures worse than, say, Umath and his brood?

This is a good question. The only race that I can think of that are as feared
as broos without being tainted by Chaos are probably the Tusk Riders. (Though I suspect most non-trolls fear Zorak Zoranis just as much as they
would Tusk Riders and Chaos).

I would suspect that it's the special abilities that Chaos beings often possess
that make them especially fearful and hated. A broo won't just kill you, he'll
also bugger you and leave you infected with one of his monstrous larva.

I think you'll find cultures though, that don' t think Dorastor's any worse than
Dagori Ingarth, e.g. Sun worshippers. Dorastor's more dangerous though because its tainting by Chaos has made it such that the very soil, water and air can be bad or dangerous to you. This really isn't the case with Dagori Inkarth no matter how much you hate darkness.

When I was thinking about Balazaring culture I decided that they don't clearly
distinguish Chaos as a specific threat. Chaos is lumped in with their cultural baddy, the Cannibal spirit (i.e. Cacodemon) who threatens society
by tempting people into horrible acts like cannibalism (this was the worst
threat they encountered in the Darkness and it still haunts them now). Since
most chaotic species eat humans they easily identify things like broos and
gorp as being possessed by Cannibal. Of course trolls and dragonewts are
known to eat humans too so they are also tainted with the Cannibal spirit
even though they are not chaotic. Balazarings are kind of fuzzy on the nature of trolls so they have in the past allied with them, much in the same
fashion that the Praxians allied with broos at Moonbroth. They were handy,
good at fighting and expendable.

>Differing Gloranthan views on souls?

My thoughts on Balazaring beliefs regarding souls are that they believe that
their bodies are both flesh and soul. When they die their souls go to live
with Votank, their divine ancestor in the other world until the time comes for
them to be reborn into this world.

Of course all of the above are just IMG and my own opinions.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/realm/5545 bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca