Re: Unarmoured left legs

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 21:13:53 +0100 (BST)

Richard Crawley:
> Alex thinks the "wear no armour on left leg" geas is silly

No I don't. I said it was silly _if regarded as a cult ethos_. Let me rephrase that -- "a geas is not a cult ethos".

> This misses a point about fighting with spears [...] your left leg will
> be the one nearest the enemy in combat

So having it unarmoured is a good thing? If was was missing the point before, I suspect I'm five miles past that particular motorway exit by now.

Besides, IIRC you can equally end up with any given limb armourless.

> Presumably there is some mythic justification - Yelmalio
> having bits of his armour pulled off in some Godtime fight?

Exactly. Specifically, the Hill of Gold. And guess what mini-HQ new Yelmalian initiates go through?

Slan,
Alex.