Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #165

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Hibbs:
> Interestign ideas, which echo some of the ideas in kabbalism. However,
> there is a problem. If mortals can't understand Godtongue, how can they
> be expected to obey it? If you can command a tree (which is a mortal
> entity) to do something in Godtongue, surely the tree can understand
> godtongue at some level?

Surely. I guess I'd say that sapient beings are merely incapable of understanding Godtongue on a conscious level...

> Assuming that godtongue is the method by which the gods express the
> force of their will, not just it's meaning. Though magicaly I agree the
> two are inextricably linked, they are distinct nevertheless.
>
> It's not that I disagree with you in principle, but this is how I
> imagine all magic to work in Glorantha anyway. I believe that rune
> spells embody the kind of expression of divine power you are talking
> about here.

Yes, and Godtongue would be, to a being with the requisite power level, like freeform rune spells...however, I don't mean to imply that Godtongue is *the* method by which these expressions are made, just *a* method...