Vinga Thunderous, other Orlanthi bits

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 19:49:44 +0100

Alex said:
> Kallyr has since been RetConned to be a Vingan, though; so is that a vote
> for "directly", or "via Vinga"?

Directly. Look, you want a Thunderous rep. for the Sartar High Council. You've got the whole of Sartar to choose from. Are you really going to pick someone from a cult with a few borrowed Wind powers, no matter how good they are within that cult, or a Thunderous Priest(ess)? If they just wanted to put Kallyr on the council somewhere and didn't care where, there are lots better places. No, she must have been at least as Thunderous as a full Thunderous Priest. And no way does Vinga give that.

It was asked:
and Peter said, much as I would have done:
> Probably Redayle (although she's Vingkot's daughter and thus
> Orlanth's Granddaughter). She married Bereneth the Rider and
> her tribe became famous horseriders.

Let me just add a little there. Bereneth the Rider joined Vingkot's household by a Foreigner's Marriage to Vingkot's daughter. Elmal (a horse-linked god) joined Orlanth's household by a Foreigner's Marriage to Orlanth's daughter. Vingkot is now not only a Hero of Orlanth but just about an Aspect of Orlanth. It wouldn't surprise me at all if these events were the same ones, and Bereneth's actions were later ascribed to Elmal. Nor would it surprise me if Beren was deliberately re-enacting Elmal's marriage, joining his people to Vingkot's by marrying his god to a rep. of their earth goddess.

Oh, and the two of them seem to have started the Vingans, too. "All their daughters were the Red Headed Women." You probably don't want to think too hard about what that does to relationships between deities.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/