Re: Yelmalion Geases

From: Lowell A Francis <edige_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 23:59:30 -0500

>From: "Simon Phipp" <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
>Subject: Yelmalion Geases
>
>Richard Crawley writes on Yelmaian "Wear no armour" geases:
>
>> Presumably there is some mythic justification - Yelmalio
>> having bits of his armour pulled off in some Godtime fight?
>
>Hill of Gold, for one, where Yelmalio loses his Armour to Orlanth.

Which seems to echo what Jane Williams and others have said. It might be a worthwhile exercise to take a hard look at the geases from the various cults and define what lesson/myth they might represent to a PC. Here is an opportunity to show a character something about the myth and culture of their character while tying it into something concrete: what advantages/disadvantages they get on their character sheet. Given the vast expanse of Glorantha, anything which invites a more natural, participatory learning is better. As we've seen before many players are turned off by the mass of background or try to assimilate it but can't.