Vinga

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:46:01 -0700

Jane and Alex write:
>I think that the purpose of the seat isn't
>"Thunderous delegate to the Council", it's principally a political
>office, with certain sacral "qualifications" before you can legimately
>occupy the position.

One thing to remember is that the High Council of Sartar scenario was written long before Vinga had been discovered. It is entirely possible that the titles of the High Council seats are not entirely accurate given what we know today.

>Certainly the usual "Vinga
>Adventuress" aspect (or Red Haired Warrior, to give Jeff Richard
>fewer hives) doesn't, but it's not clear to me that there isn't
>_a_ mode of Vinga worship that does.

Unlikely. Vinga was not associated with the big storm aspects of Orlanth - during the period of Lokamayadon's dominance she was not circumvented by High Storm, suggesting that her "storm" powers are pretty darn limited. Thanks for being sensitive to my sensibilities Alex - I hate the "Adventurous" title.

>Is no one buying my ploy of Vingans having a Thunder Brothers (Thunder
>Sisters?) type subcult?

I'm not buying it at this point. As far as I'm concerned, Vinga (as we know her in Sartar) is simply nothing more or less that a variant of Orlanth the Warrior that is exclusively accessible to women. Vinga and Orlanth Rex are the only aspects of Orlanth whose initiatory secrets are accessible to women. Outside of Saird, I doubt that they are too many variations on Vinga worship beyond the basic "Orlanth the Warrior" template - I mean let's face it, she just isn't that culturally significant.

Jeff