Would Glorantha be better without Greg?

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 18:40:27 EDT

Which you've got to admit is a provocative subject line ;-)

J. Laajamdki:

<< The world of Glorantha was amazingly fine when it first came to finnish
market, and our whole group was charmed by it. OnLast years just haven't been so gently with it. Mr Stafford has really blowed it up. I don't say that the philosophy is that bad thing, just the way that Greg had destroyed the whole fun from the game with 'power-characters'.>>

     I assume that by this you mean that you feel that Glorantha no longer works for high-powered characters, yes? If so, you ought to like Hero Wars, which has come under criticism (rightly or wrongly) from some quarters for being *too* high-powered for some tastes, and making it difficult to play "lower level" PCs.

<<Sorry Greg, You really are pain in the ass for Glorantha.>>

      Heck, you could always try ignoring him, and regarding the stuff he writes as not being true in your campaign. Not that I'm advocating this in general though, but if you like (your vision of) Glorantha it seems the easiest solution. There's plenty of other Gloranthan writers out there. Admittedly, it means many future products won't be able to be used in your campaign, which I suppose might be a problem.

<< Stop abusing the rules >>

     If by this you mean defining Glorantha so that it doesn't fit with RuneQuest rules, then that's a fair comment. Some may object that this is Good Thing, not a Bad one, but, lets face it, that doesn't help you much. I suspect that this sort of thing will become far less common under Hero Wars, partly because the system is closer to how Greg views Glorantha as working, and partly because HW doesn't actually have that many rules to contradict anyway. If you aren't keen on the idea of HW, either, then that's a separate debate...

<<and history and philosophies>>

    Which I notice you earlier said weren't that bad a thing. However it raises the question of:

<< and do some new.>>

    New what, exactly? Scenarios without much historical/philosophical context, I'm guessing, but I could be wrong. At any rate, I'm sure it would help Issaries to know what people are hoping for from their new products. It would therefore be more useful for you to outline what is you would like to see.

    Speaking personally, I don't agree with you because I think the philosophy and history of Glorantha are a major part of what makes it a good setting. But I realise its no good me telling you ought to like them as well, since you clearly don't find them useful for your own gaming. It may be that Glorantha is going down a path where it loses whatever it was that made you like it, but I'd still check out HW if I were you; it could well have some of what you're looking for. If not, then, well, you can't please everybody...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky