Re: Pelorian views of Chaos

From: Ian or Katts <ianw_at_orac.net.au>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 21:04:37

>From: "Pam Carlson" <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
>Subject: Pelorian views of Chaos

<with lots of good stuff deleted>

>While that is a good argument, and admittedly from the Orlanthi POV, I want
>to offer a few others.
>
>1) Why is there more choas in Orlanthi lands?
>
>2) Perhaps different cultures are differently able to deal with threats.
>
>3) Perhaps because of the first two reasons, chaos is viewed in Peloria as
>simply another force in the world, as useable, controllable, or as awful as
>any other. Thus, the red goddess' control of use of is little different
>than the Kitori's allinace with darkness.

<more deletes>

One, admittidly subjectivist, idea I have been kicking around for a long time is that worship of an anti-Chaos pantheon (Orlanthi and, even more, Praxian) in fact reinforces chaos manifestations in and near that culture, because it acknowledges their power, and 'leakage' towards chaos occurs from energy dedicated to worshipping the pantheon - you cant worship Orlanth without knowing about (his Evil Brother) Ragnalagar, and you cant worship Storm Bull without agreeing that Chaos is powerful and everywhere.

In the Lunar Empire, this process doesnt occour as much, because of the rock solid confidence of the populace that Chaos can be controlled by proper methods. Thus, chaos is less of an issue in the Lunar Empire, because experience has shown that a Choas manifestation leads to a couple of Men in Red coming in, saying 'I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help you', and fixing the problem.

Compare this to a pack of Wind Lords in Sartar - even if they win, only half of them tend to come back, which reinforces the idea of your average Sartarite that Chaos is powerful.

This theory could also explain the overwhelming force of Arkat, Sheng and the Argraths, as every victory led to the certain knowledge by millions that these enemies were, in fact, invincible, which led them to be even more magically powerful.

Ian Whitchurch

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #172