re: Vinga & farming

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 11:51:31 -0800

Allen Wallace wonders

> >Vinga (as we know
> >her in Sartar) is simply nothing more or less that a variant of Orlanth the
> >Warrior that is exclusively accessible to women.

> Why must it be a subcult, allied or associate cults would be more
>appropriate.

Given the cultists pretty much say, "Treat us just like male warriors of the clan" who all worship Orlanth the Warrior, and given that she's a pretty minor goddess and can't really support a full cult (where's there a Vinga Great Temple, or even a Temple?), subcult fits the best. You want all your warriors worshipping together so your war blessings affect everyone.

> FARMING IS NOT MORE TIME EFFICIENT FOR PROVIDING FOOD!
Very true. It is more LAND efficient. If you have population growth, you will probably be forced into farming, because there's no other way to support so many people on the same amount of land.

I think all the studies are based on a static situation, however. In a case such as Glorantha emerging from the Darkness, or Europe emerging from the Black Death, and you can add new land without having to worry about letting it lie fallow or do lots of clearing, things might be different. (I recall from Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror" that the peasant standard of living in France went way up after the Black Death.)