Re: Pelorian views of Chaos

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 09:45:00 +0100

Pam Carlson :

>1) Why is there more choas in Orlanthi lands? Why does >Orlanthi have
the bad brother, Ragnaglar? The Orlanthi seem >to be rather obsessed with the evils of choas, yet they seem to >draw it. Could it be that chaos is kind of an Orlanthi "other", to >use a Pelorain term? Perhaps other Gloranthan cultures don't >have such a reaction to chaos, and less trouble with it,
>because they are less linked to it?

I was toying with this idea too. The fact that Ragnaglar is Orlanth's brother must be significant.

I think that chaos tends to attack a society in the most insidious way it can. In Orlanthis culture chaos attacks the main pillars of orlanthi society. Thed and Ragnaglar attack reproduction and social conventions. Malia counters Chalana Arroy, Thanatar opposes Lankor Mhy, etc. They are plagued by broo, which are in direct conflict with tthier day to day way of life.

 Orlanthi are passionate, violent people and so they have appropriate foes. Sara Happans are organised and hierarchical so chaos to them is he breakdown of their society., the inversion of their social conventions. In contrast they have relatively few problems with rampaging chaos monsters.

I don't realy know enough about Dara Happan society and history to be able to expound on this. It's just a theory.

Simon Hibbs