Chaos, Orlanthi, Pelorian Others.

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:43:08 EDT

I am uncomfortable with the idea that Orlanthi amd Praxian anti-chaos attitude somehow causes chaos effects or summons it. I sounds like Lunar propaganda for a start. I think it is to do with cause and effect however, I just think that the cause and the effect need to be reversed. I would say Praxians are so anti-chaos (in theory) because they encounter it's horrors relatively frequently - the chaos herd, broos, scorpion men, the swamp, gas, dragon snails etc. Orlanthi live in more wild areas than Pelorians and therefore encounter chaos monster that are able to survive on the fringes of civilisation.
Pelorians, who seldom encounter chaos, do not appreciate the bad things that chaos can do.

As far as a definition of "chaos" there are several :
"that which we do not understand" - this covers western Krjalk, Pelorian views
of trolls, Orlanthi views of the Lunar Empire.
"a passionate refusal to recognise the limits of the natural and moral
universe...to want to be in the world but not of it" -
"Primal Chaos - the untainted power of random change."
"destroy the world" - i.e return it to the primal chaos from which it came. To
quote a broo priest -"the world was ripped from Chaos, to harm the eternal silence we cannot know, and to torment each of us forever"

Keith Nellist