Re: Two dozen tribes?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 21:42:23 +0100 (BST)

Joerg Baumgartner gets picky:
> There are no subjects in Sartar (prior to the Lunar conquest) AFAIK.

Last time I checked "subject" was the usual term for the people belonging to a kingdom, exact legal status notwithstanding. If you want to avoid it, substitute "member of the federation" to equal, if clumsier effect.

> WRT Pol Joni: they aren't part of any city confederation. Neither are the
> Colymar or the Telmori, and the Lismelder could be fairly astonished to
> learn there is a city federation of Duck Point they are supposed to be part
of.

You're arguing against a point I didn't make. Not all tribes are part of city confederations, but not all non-confederation-members are tribes of the Kingdom of Sartar.

> Another question: before the annihilation of the Maboder, were there 25
> tribes of Sartar? Does Wulfland gain tribal, or clan, status under Argrath?

The Maboder were another popular nominee for the "24th" spot. If there's some significance to the number 24, then perhaps indeed they were, until recently, and the Lunars have thrown things out of whack.

If there's no real significance to the number, then it may just be a boo-boo on that map.

Slainte,
Alex.