Hero Wars at Gencon

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:28:44 +0100

Just to add to Martin's comments

>well
>It had to be done, I ran a demo at Gencon of Hero Wars.
>Ably assisted by Simon Bray and Danny Bourne, I was faced with three 14 year
>olds (2 of which were girls) and 3 older male role players. (they even tried
>to shanghai some 10 year olds!!)

And guess who Martin spoke to the most.

>Anyhow what a laugh, good game they actually recovered the spear, among much
>hilarity and yes the Stormbull did manage to brag about his big dick and the
>immortal words "you've got a really small dick" were spoken ( You've started a
>catchphrase Robin Laws)

I hope it's not the case that Martin knows something I don't, but I just won't even go there.

Anyway, it was interesting in that of the six people mentioned above three had never heard of Runequest/Glorantha, and three had heard of Runequest vaguely. The girls both said it was simple, enjoyable & easy to learn, while the older guys said it was a clean system, easy to pick up. Their reservations were lack of dice and 'a bit abstract' (One of the girls also mentioned the memorable atmosphere, I'd like to think it was my inspired rendition of the clan chieftan, but it was probably Martin's pool of dribble).

Also at Gencon the guys from Travelling Man (DH's favourite shop) who run a long standing RQ campaign all played it & were surprisingly positive - as some of them are more RQ fans than Glorantha fans. The same can be said of the guys from Best Books & Games in Liverpool and this guy from Scotland whose wife makes cuddly horned goats, although I can't find his business card, but it's in Aberdeen somewhere.

Anyway, I digress, but what I kind of learned from the four days of mayhem was that the best way to get people to by Hero Wars is if they've already played it - not one person's said it's crap and even the ones that weren't too keen said they'd buy it for the background. Nowhere near as many said that they'd buy it if it was just on the shelf & they didn't know anything about the system. Hence get some format of the system distributed as widely as possible and then there'll be pre-knowledge of the product and a solid sales base waiting for when it comes out, provided it's advertised properly.

Just my 50th of a dollar.

Danny (in need of sleep & sand blasting) Bourne