Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #173

From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:43:47 -0500

> Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 19:10:13 +0100
> From: "Jane Williams" <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
> Subject: Thunderous ladies
>

> Assuming that you don't, OA as written up has Thunder Powers (or rather, looking at
> the spell names, Wind Powers). Somehow. Therefore, Vinga has the same
> Thunder/Wind Powers. Somehow. Probably a different Somehow, but there you go.
> Looking at that write-up, OT has considerably more Storm/Wind/Thunder than OA
> (and, therefore, than Vinga), which I'm sure won't surprise anyone.
>
> We have several documented instances of female Orlanthi being able to control the
> wind: I can't look it up at present, but seem to remember a lady on an expedition to
> Skyfall Lake being surprised at the fury of the storm and her inability to control it. It
> seems to me that it is possible, Somehow, for women to gain more access to Storm
> than Vinga/OA can give.
>
> As for which aspects of Orlanth women can join: surely the question is which ones
> they can't join. Not OA: that's documented. It seems obvious that aspects that rely on
> male potency are impossible to women. So Orlanth the Ultimate Clan Ancestor is
> out. Orlanth Who Defines Your Role As A Man is out. Orlanth the teenage layout
> who seduces anything in a skirt - yes, that's why OA is out! But Thunderous? If wind
> has anything to do with male potency, you're doing it wrong.

I'm of the opinion that Orlanth is much more open than many digesters suppose...For example, I hold to the fact that Orlanth Adventurous membership is open to "Any who hold breath in their lungs", as according to Cults of Prax, approximately. Ruric's female companion from the rules excerpts of RQ2 eventually becomes a Wind Voice of Orlanth (presumably of the Adventurous subcult.) A female Orlanth Priestess, who is not named, is also mentioned in "Calling the Spirit of the Wind" in the Travels of Biturian Varosh, when an Orlanth worship service is held at the Pairing Stone.

>From an RQ3 POV, I personally feel that Orlanthi society wouldn't be that rigid, and that the
Godis wouldn't care who would be brave enough to delve into the magical secrets of the Master of Storms, as long as their will were strong and hearts were pure. Orlanth himself sees all beings as having rights to freedom, and will take anyone who is not touched by Chaos. The CoP cult write-up mentions non-humans as being permitted to join.

For those that don't share that view, Kolat may also be be avilable for those of Shamanic bent. I actually like the idea of Orlanthi Storm-Witches, who worship the Great Lord of Storms in small groups and his brother, the father of sylphs,dancing around fires smeared with woad.

As for Pelorian Chaos...againm, imo, Chaos in Glorantha is an objective thing. How peoples deal with Chaos is subjective. My personal belief is that the Pelorians actually know deeply of Chaos, as otherwise the Red Goddess would have not be able to achieve the command of Chaos she has. However, again the Pelorians repeat the blindness of blindness of Yelm and Nysalor - trying to make something what it's not. Putting a lunar uniform and armor onto a Broo doesn't change the Broo...he still wants to destroy the world, and now sees the Red Goddess, as opposed to Thed, as the vehicle to do it. Vampire legions train, slavery is an institution, the Crimson Bat devours all those who dissent, and the Cult of Krarsht weaves it's web of nothingness and decay throughout the lunar Bureacracy. No *wonder* Argrath had to destroy the Red Moon at the end of the 3rd age!

For curiosity's sake, I'm curious as to how Chaos manifested in the West. Chaos wa snot only a grave threat to the Praxians and Orlanthi, it is also a great threat in the Mythologies of Pamaltela and the Elder Races as well. It seems to me that everyone *except* the Pelorians see Chaos as a threat.]

Just stirrin up the pot,

Chris Bell
argrath_at_ix.netcom.com