more chaos in Peloria

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:21:16 -0700

Keith says -

> I am uncomfortable with the idea that Orlanthi amd Praxian anti-chaos
> attitude somehow causes chaos effects or summons it.

Ah! Then my efforts were successful!

>It sounds like Lunar propaganda for a start.

It most certainly could be.

>Orlanthi live in more wild areas than Pelorians and
> therefore encounter chaos monster that are able to survive on the fringes
of
> civilisation.

This is the common and quite plausible explanation. But, one might ask, why is there more chaos running about outside Peloria? Why doesn't chaos bother Peloria? (well, it does sometimes, but it is recorded with only as much loathing as is heaped on invading barbarians...) Perhaps the Orlanthi have no other really despicable enemies to complain about, so the choas stands out more?

Simon sees the light with:

> The fact that Ragnaglar is Orlanth's brother must be significant.

and

>I think that chaos tends to attack a society in the most insidious way
>it can. In Orlanthis culture chaos attacks the main pillars of orlanthi
>society. Thed and Ragnaglar attack reproduction and social conventions.
>Malia counters Chalana Arroy, Thanatar opposes Lankor Mhy, etc.
> Orlanthi are passionate, violent people and so they have appropriate
>foes.

This is exactly one of the things I was trying to say. Chaos may manifest differently in different areas - it is affected by the non-chaotic culture present. In Sartar, kinslaying and chaos go hand in had - for kinslaying destroys the fabric of Orlanthi society.

>Dara Happans are organised and hierarchical so chaos to them is he
>breakdown of their society, the inversion of their social conventions.

Are you sure you don't know much about DH society? You seem to have hit it on the head! Failing to follow the hierarchy and ancient social conventions is THEIR special definition of chaos.

Kind of makes you realize how the Seven Mothers and Red Goddess, to oust the Dara Happan/Yelmic rule almost HAD to embrace chaos...

Pam