re : Chaos, Orlanthi and Pelorian Others

From: Ian or Katts <ianw_at_orac.net.au>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 18:46:39

From: <Kmnellist_at_aol.com>

>I am uncomfortable with the idea that Orlanthi amd Praxian anti-chaos
>attitude somehow causes chaos effects or summons it. I sounds like Lunar
>propaganda for a start. I think it is to do with cause and effect however, I
>just think that the cause and the effect need to be reversed. I would say
>Praxians are so anti-chaos (in theory) because they encounter it's horrors
>relatively frequently - the chaos herd, broos, scorpion men, the swamp, gas,
>dragon snails etc. Orlanthi live in more wild areas than Pelorians and
>therefore encounter chaos monster that are able to survive on the fringes of
>civilisation.
>Pelorians, who seldom encounter chaos, do not appreciate the bad things that
>chaos can do. >------------------------------

I think the theory makes a lot of intelligent, well-informed Orlanthi uncomfortable too. I am perfectly happy with my position being sophisticated if untrue Lunar propaganda.

>From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
>
>Ian or Katts :
>
>I'm sure Carmainan dualism has much to say about this.

Chaos is an interesting problem for a fundamentally Western culture - for Westerners, doesnt 'krjalki' cover trolls, hsunchen as well as broos and other chaos manifestations.

>Absolutely, chaos is simply not a problem in the Empire. From The Bat on
>the frontiers consuming criminals and barbarians, to the chaos legion's
>broo spawning pits, the empire has a number of tried and tested methods
>by which beneficial manifestations of chaos can allow disidents and
>social dropouts to contribue to the strength of the empire. All Hail the
>Reaching Moon!

*grin* But dont forget the Lunar heroquesters who earned their spurs as chaosfighters. The Red Goddess can also Illuminate intelligent if chaotic beings, and thus 'solve' the problem, at least from the Lunar POV. If not from the Orlanthi POV.

Ian Whitchurch