Re: Chaos; Vinga

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:40:55 -0800

Keith Nellist is

> uncomfortable with the idea that Orlanthi amd Praxian anti-chaos
> attitude somehow causes chaos effects or summons it.

To take an Orlanthi example, kinstrife is Chaos. This doesn't seem to be the case in Dara Happa, though presumably kin do kill each other occasionally.

I think the idea that each culture brings about its own enemy is pretty Gloranthan. Partly this is the world's reaction to the sort of magic they do. Partly it's directly because of the sort of magic they do. For example, the Storm Bulls conduct mighty Chaos-defeating rituals every year, and somehow they always have something Chaotic to kill.

Pam Carlson believes

> I feel that Vinga was
> created as a way to justify female warriors in Thelayan society, in order
> to make players happy. Basically, Vinga is a game world construct. I came
> to this conclusion when I realized how little other dieties or myths depend
> on Vinga. If she were dropped from Glorantha, little would change.

I'm not so sure; I think she may be a logical extrapolation once Greg was looking at things in great detail (the way Elmal came into being since Yelmalio wasn't as logical in core Orlanthi myth).

However, her cult is surely a game world construct -- far more prevalent in games than in "real" Glorantha. (What did we have, three Vingans in my first Ralios game?) Which is one reason some of us keep saying "subcult," to remind everyone that it's not that important a mythological role (unless of course you happen to be a woman warrior).

As to the lack of mythic importance, I must fault your logic. There are after all no myths of Issaries, Chalana Arroy, or Lhankor Mhy, except the LBQ. This implies that their mythic role is simply Orlanth's followers. Which surely isn't correct. Heck, I'm not even sure there are any Ernalda myths that don't include Orlanth.