is Yelm better at fighting chaos than Urox?

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:51:53 -0700

As an unexpected bit support to Pam's Idea that the pelorians are somehow better at resisting chaos than the Orlanthi, one should note that the MOST historically successful chaos-fighters in glorantha are the Black Sun worshipping trolls of the Kingdom of Ignorance. Trollpack lists two major decisive victories against chaos by the KoI trolls, and NO losses -- an utterly unprecedented success rate for ANY gloranthan culture (I think...)

Now, the Black Sun is generally considered to be the "other" of Yelm, and would mirror pelorian magics. Therefore I assume that there is something in
"solar" magic (light or dark) that helps to defeat chaos. I like the idea
that it is the very structure of society (whether the "enlightened rule" Yelm or "decadent despotism" of BS) that resists chaos. In other words, to be successful, chaos must FIRST fragment the social order, then destroy the physical might of a solar culture.

Since Orlanthi and Praxian social structures are much more fragmented and
"chaotic" (thats chaotic as in random, not as in "Primal Chaos") to begin
with, it is much more difficult for them to eliminate Chaos (as in PC as opposed to randomness).

Another possible interpretation is that by ignoring the "chaoticness" of chaos, the Solar cultures are able to deny it a large chunk of its power. Thus, the "Terrible Chaos Monstrosities(tm)" that the orlanthi fight, become
"just another buncha' digijelm" when facing Yelmies.

Further support for this theory can be found in the basic outlook on "what makes a ruler Great" between the cultures. For Orlanthi/Praxian Leaders, the measure of greatness is the Power of their enemies. Thus the Uroxi HeroQuestor is always looking for the heropath with the biggest Chaotic he can find (thus pulling more chaos into his myth/reality). Whereas a Great Emporer, being by definition all powerful, defeats his enemies with a minimum of fuss and effort -- thus creating heropaths that minimize an enemies power.

To answer my original question, I think that Urox is better at fighting chaos, but that it is no accident that there is MUCH less chaos in peloria to fight ;-)

danm