RE: Levels of Mastery

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 19:47:41 +0100

Allen:
>Starting characters are more at the squire level than
>most seem to feel.

I agree. I don't know where the idea that PCs get automatic bump-ups against ordinary NPCs came from, I think it's an obsolete idea.

>Perhaps it's just David Dunhams slant though.
>The rockets go off when a level of mastery is
>gained in a generally useful ability. At that
>point, that character's rate of advancement far
>outstrips those lesser mortals.

No, advancing from 2/18 to 19M/21 is only a small step - all you are gaining is that you merely Fail on a 1 rather than Big Failing, and you now Big Success on a 19 or 20, instead of just 20. Oh, and you get 3 extra SP instead of 1. Sure, going from 10/10 to 10M/30 is a huge step, but that requires 36 plot points.

http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
Any view of things that is not strange is false