re:Black Sun and Chaos

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:34:47 -0700

Both Chris Bell and Peter Metcalf express reservations about my Black Sun/Yelm Identification:

The Black Sun is not worshipped in Peloria. It's a Eastern entity. While the Pelorians do have Others of Yelm (such as Kazkurtum), they are not known for great chaos fighters.

While correct, I don't see how that invalidates a similarity between the magics of the BS and Yelm. When the (eventually KoI) Trolls came to the surface, they found BS lurking about on the borders of Peloria, and followed him east. The only actual myth about Black Sun that I know of is the one where he dresses up in dead fish and goes to challenge yelm for the rulership of the universe, but falls in a terrified heap, and slinks away long before Yelm notices him. That is what led me to identify him with an "other" of Yelm, and assume that his powers would be a sort of "Dark Parody" of Yelmic powers. The Pelorians, worshipping Yelm, would hardly see a need for such powers, as they already HAVE Yelm. The trolls on the other hand would find a "dark" version of solar magic to be new and fascinating and invaluable to survival on the surface world. While Kazkurtum might not be much of a chaos fighter, Orlanth (also considered an "other" of sorts) is, so I don't think that argument is especially valid.

> Now, the Black Sun is generally considered to be the "other" of Yelm, and
> would mirror pelorian magics.

Why do you feel this is the Case? I'd imagine that it would be Troll Magics.

There definately seems to be SOMETHING in the Black Sun that is devastating to chaos, given the KoI effectiveness against it (even compared to other Trolls). Since the Uz inherently have the "Black" part in spades, I would postulate that something related to "Sun" powers gives them the edge ;-)

This doesn't by any means "prove" that Yelm has any special Chaos resistance, but seems to imply that he might. I really don't know enough Pelorian History to say much more about it.

so...

Is there something about being "Solar" that transferrs some resistance to Chaos?

Kinda related:

Is it just solar? or does "large, Celestial object" grant chaos-resistance... I was just thinking about Boztakang's Blue Moon connection... Is it odd, or meaningfull that the Greatest Uz chaos-fighting hero has Lunar connections? Given Rufelza's ability to control chaos, it is not unreasonable to suspect that something about being "lunar" grants chaos resistance as well...

So Black Sun and Blue Moon both seem to grant chaos fighting prowess, While Yelm mostly ignores (or internallizes? or what?) chaos and the Red Moon Embraces and Controlls it...

If it turns out that "Celestial" isn't the key (ie Yelm is just as succeptable to chaos as anyone), maybe it is Illusion that is the crux of successful Chaos-Fighting? That is the only other link I can think of between BS and the Red and Blue moons.

that's enough for now... :-)
danm