Re: is Yelm better at fighting chaos than Urox?

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 10:31:33 +0100

Daniel McCluskey build a huge great palace of cards :

>As an unexpected bit support to Pam's Idea that the pelorians are
>somehow better at resisting chaos than the Orlanthi

I didn't read Pam's post as saying that.

>Now, the Black Sun is generally considered to be the "other" of Yelm,
>and would mirror pelorian magics. Therefore I assume that there is
>something in "solar" magic (light or dark) that helps to defeat chaos.

Er...... riiiight.

We know that Trolls are some of the best chaos fighters in Glorantha already. Their Darkness powers are largely unaffected by the corruptive influence of chaos, and it's relatively harmless (if not tasty) to them in it's raw state. I see no evidence here of any solar advantage over chaos.

> In other words, to be successful, chaos must FIRST fragment the
>social order, then destroy the physical might of a solar culture.

Destroy the social order of a solar culture, and it has no physical might.

>Since Orlanthi and Praxian social structures are much more fragmented
>and "chaotic" (thats chaotic as in random, not as in "Primal Chaos") to
>begin with, it is much more difficult for them to eliminate Chaos (as
in >PC as opposed to randomness).

Surely the decentralised and flexible structure of praxian and orlanthi society makes it more resilient to an external (or internal) threat.

>Another possible interpretation is that by ignoring the "chaoticness"
of
>chaos, the Solar cultures are able to deny it a large chunk of its
power.

Actualy, it opens them to it's insidious, subversive nature. Gbaji and Krarsht have a field day.

>Thus, the "Terrible Chaos Monstrosities(tm)" that the orlanthi fight,
>become "just another buncha' digijelm" when facing Yelmies.

You seem to have completely missed the point of my post, and Pams. Yes, Dara Happans don't have problems with big chaos mosters, but that's because chaos attacks them in a way that is apropriate to their culture. The point is that "Terrible Chaos Monstrosities(tm)" are not the be-all and end-all of chaos, so sayign that the Dara Happans don't have problems with TCMs _therefore_ Dara Happans don't have problems with chaos is a non sequitor.

>Thus the Uroxi HeroQuestor is always looking for the heropath with >the
biggest Chaotic he can find (thus pulling more chaos into his
>myth/reality).

But pulling it from where? I strenuously deny that this causes the creation of 'extra' chaos per se. It forces hiden chaos out into the open, perhaps forcing it to take a more active and beligerent role. This is one reason Orlanthi and praxians are less troubled by subversive chaos - they have ways of forcing it into the open.

>To answer my original question, I think that Urox is better at fighting

>chaos, but that it is no accident that there is MUCH less chaos in
>peloria to fight ;-)

There's less chaos fighting in peloria - in terms of smacking it about with a big axe - because a) the pelorians aren't fighting it, and b) because the chaotic influences don't want to fight. They're much too busy infiltrating and subverting it's complex and powerfull social institutions (for now!).

Peloria is a land of enlightenment and civilisation - a bit like Dorastor at it's height, and look what happened to that!

Simon Hibbs