is Yelm better at fighting chaos than Urox?

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:32:13 +0100

> Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:51:53 -0700
> From: "Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer)" <a-daniem_at_microsoft.com>
> Subject: is Yelm better at fighting chaos than Urox?
- -..
> Therefore I assume that there is something in
> "solar" magic (light or dark) that helps to defeat chaos. I like the idea
> that it is the very structure of society (whether the "enlightened rule"
> Yelm or "decadent despotism" of BS) that resists chaos. In other words, to
> be successful, chaos must FIRST fragment the social order, then destroy the
> physical might of a solar culture.

Perhaps a crucial distinction is the difference between resist and fight.

Solar culture emulates the Golden Age of Yelm, when chaos was absent. For a Darra Happan emperor to be successful, there must be no chaos present, as there was not chaos present in the Golden Age. This need not require destruction of that chaos; he can banish it (didn't Yelm or the first emperor banish various nasties to the levels of hell? I don't have my GRoY handy). The searing light of Justice drives the dijielm away, yada, yada.
The banished chaos would go to the neighbouring Orlanthi, of course.

Orlanthi culture emulates the Silver Age of Orlanth, when foes were present but fought and defeated. For an Orlanthi to be successful he must fight and defeat chaos. Sending it elsewhere would be personally irresponsible: a bad thing, and a lost opportunity to show what a mighty champion you are.

Are there many myths of Yelm being a great chaos fighter?

I suggest Yelm is poor at fighting chaos, but good at repelling it.

Another thought. Perhaps we concentrate too much on the TYPES of chaos that Orlanthi fight.
Only in sparsely inhabited regions do broo and scorpion-men have a chance to breed. Civilized Dara Happa simply can not have feral broo: there is no where for them to live! However, Dara Happa must be riddled with Krashti (and Thanatari?). Perhaps the density of chaotics is the same, but the types are different.