The Chris Bell Digest V6 #176

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:16:21 +0100 (BST)

Chris Bell says, in a post that, to be quite frank, is something of a 17K nightmare of quoting and formatting, says:

> Also note that women who become Wind Lords *do not* have to follow
> Vinga's Path, although most do.

Note that this is a completely "non-Greg" interpretation; the Great Greg (*genuflexion*, in deferrence to Aesc) has said fairly directly that O. "Adventurous" is not open to women, but that Vinga is a fairly direct counterpart.

I don't want to heap disapprobrium on anyone for deviating from the One True Glorantha, or any such nonsense, but the above sounded like an assertion to me, rather than an IMO/IMG/IMC.

[My paraphrase of Julian Lord that Rain and Thunder are male principles for the Orlanthi]

> That's an MGF/personal taste issue.

Or a shortly-to-be-Gregged issue, perhaps.

> I feel that there's something quitepassionate and
> feminine to some aspects of Storm. Brastalos,
> nominally a member of the Storm Pantheon, Magasta's wife, is
> female and also a Sea Goddess.

This is evidence of female initiates of a _Thunder_ god in areas which are _culturally_ (and not just nominally) Orlanthi?

> Check out GRAY. They may not have called it Chaos per se, but the
> Pelorians fought against horrors in the Darkness that would have been
> called Chaos by any of the Storm Peoples just the same.

What the storm peoples would have called them is neither here or there; you've effectively just conceded the point you were (notionally) arguing against about _Pelorian_ understanding of chaos.

Slainte,
Alex.