Gods & Goddesses

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:14:29 EDT

Chris Bell:

<< I know there are female aspects to Storm, just as I'm sure there are opposite gender aspects to all the Gods.

    Female aspects to Storm I'll go along with, but to all the gods? Not, IMO, without defining that phrase so widely as to make it meaningless. For instance, who are the female counterparts of:

Lhankor Mhy, Donandar, the Invisible God, Mastakos, Storm Bull, Thanatar, Yelmalio?

Or the male counterparts of:

Asrelia, Gorgorma, Krarsht, Malia, Maran Gor?

    Granted many of these cults allow members of both genders, but that's not to say that they have a opposite-gender counterpart. Its true that big concepts, such as Storm, or Death, have both female and male deities (at least, I can't think of any exceptions off hand) but that's not the same as all individual deities having opposite gender aspects.

    For that matter, I dispute some of the paralells you draw. Aldrya=Mostal is surely the precise opposite of the truth, and I'm not convinced by Yelm=Dendara, given that Yelm is a god of rulership and Dendara one of (among other things) feminine subservience. Yes, they're both culture gods for Dara Happan nobles, but they aren't counterparts in the same sense as Orlanth and Vinga, for example. Vinga is the goddess for women who want to do Orlanth-type things, but Dendara does not allow her worshippers to do Yelm-type things, like being Emperor etc.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky