Re: Godtongue

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:36:04 +0100 (BST)

Simon H.:
> To the extent that [HQers] communicate concepts that are communicable in a
> mortal tongue, I'm sure they use the mortal tongue to do so. Beyond
> that, I don't see any need for any form of communication any more
> esoteric than, say, Mindlink.

I think that depends on how "mundane" the HQ is. If it's at the "practice quest" end of things, then that's exactly what you'd do, I think.

If you're getting towards being "Orlanth Argrathi", then I suspect such things aren't really necessary at all, or at least are innate to the point of being implicit.

> The God Learners may well have posited the existance of a godtongue,
> much in the same way that modern physicists posit the existence of
> gravitons (particles of gravity, no less).

Hrm. Of all the dodgy physics analogues on the list, this has been the... most recent. I think the comparison is a tad unfair on the hapless theoretical graviticians (or else it exaggerates the plausibility of GodTongue, I'm not sure which).

Slainte,
Alex.