re: Black Sun and Chaos

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:44:12 +0100 (BST)

Daniel McCluskey says:
> The only actual myth about Black Sun that I know of is the one
> where he dresses up in dead fish and goes to challenge yelm for the
> rulership of the universe, but falls in a terrified heap, and slinks away
> long before Yelm notices him. That is what led me to identify him with an
> "other" of Yelm, and assume that his powers would be a sort of "Dark Parody"
> of Yelmic powers.

Since I don't seem to have anyone whimpering in terror yet... I think the most applicable Musical Reference would have to be "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" by They Might Be Giants.

ObNonMusicalContent:
> Is there something about being "Solar" that transferrs some resistance to
> Chaos?

If this had even a glimmer of truth to it, why did the Carmanian army seeking to squish the "Chaotic" Lunars make a deliberate (if disastrous) decision to manifest their _Darkness_ aspect at the Four Arrows of Light battle? (The name is a bit of a clue as to who won.)

Elemental dominance in Glorantha basically works like:

Storm beats Sun beats Darkness beats Chaos.

(And no, it's not transitive..)

Earth, Water, and Moon are left as exercises. ;-)

Slainte,
Alex.