Re: More Elmal vs Yelm

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:22:26 +0100

Thomas Gottschall :

>Ok. But then what does the average Orlanthi think what god this
blinding >disk is there above ?

In modern times they probably know it's Yelm, but don't worship it. It's not seen as that important to them as an active force in their lives.

>And why began the Great Darkness when Yelm was slain ? And of course
>why did the sun rise when Orlanth came back from the Lightbringer's
>Quest ?

When the Evil Emperor was slain the whole world started to die, so obviously the sun was one of the first things to go. They only made the connection between Yelm/Evil Emperor later.

>I think this is far to much. KoS reports Elmal to be a thane of
Orlanth, the
>Colymar have a clan dedicated to Elmal, the Enhyl. I cannot see why the

>Orlanthi should hate Elmali given this sources. Maybe they regard them
>as odd and strange but I presume no more than any Humakti.

Humakt doesn't take the place of Orlanth as Ernalda's husband deity and clan chief. Elmal does. Not in every clan where there are Elmal worshipers, some clan members simply worship Elal in his Loyal Thane aspect. However, Elmal ruled the stead (in Orlanth's name) while Orlanth was in the underworld doing the LBQ, so Elmal does have a rulership role which directly clashes with Orlanth.

Simon Hibbs