The Young Ones

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_bhs.utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:31:44 +0100

Alex (in reply to Someone):
> > Humans, being the basic form, were presumably first [man rune race].
>
> Hence the well-known description of aldryami, mostali, uz, et al
> as "Younger Races" -- it all makes sense now!
>
> (duck and run)

You can run but you can't hide.

My personal, highly irreverent interpretation of the 'Elder Races' is that Mostali (ie _true_ Mostali), Aldryami (ie treeish spirits/godlings) and Uz (ie darkness spirits/godlings) are indeed older than mankind, but it wasn't until other deities/forces created the man-like Grandfather Mortal that these beings catched the idea of humanoid form and being. I think it didn't really caught on until the lesser darkness, which is when we get dwarves, elves and trolls in larger numbers.

Actually. I imagine the creation of these races went something like this:
Grandfather Mortal is walking along, when he spies a beautiful dryad in a grove.
- -Yoo-hoooo! Cochie-cooo!

Pleased with himself (and not noticing the woodlice and moulds he got from that encounter - having forgotten about safe sex) he walks along wistling until he hears a rasping, horrid, but distinctively female voice from the shadows.-Hey!
- -What, me?

He staggers along warily, until he reaches a small square building he didn't see before. On its roof is a big sign in Godtongue: 'EARN QUICK $$$$$ - MAKE YOUR DONATION NOW!''
- -Donation? What's that? Nevermind, I can need some cash.
He enters the little building, which contains a single room with three holes in the wall opposite the door. Suddenly a bubbling voice speaks from the highest hole:
- -wELcOme! DO yoU wIsh To mAKe A DOnaTIon?

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea-green boat..." >From "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear

Erik Sieurin
bv9521_at_bhs.utb.hb.se
Bodagatan 39, 2 tr
50742 Bor=E5s