The Full 4.5% Vingan.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:26:50 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham disagrees with Jane Williams:
> > Pardon? 15% of women choose the warrior path, or thereabouts.

> While your argument is good (you can clearly support a cult with a fraction
> of the population), I think 15% of women choose not to be Ernalda. This
> still lets them decide between Humakt, Babeester Gor, and Vinga (as
> warriors) and of course all the other deities normally worshipped by
> reasonable Orlanthi.

I think Jane's reasoning is the More Correct, myself. One in seven (that's probably an Orlanthi idiom, as is the dual fraction...) choose not to follow 'traditional women's roles', which to my mind means about that number join cults which _can't_ be followed from within the usual Ernaldan path. Which is principally the warrior cults. If you want (or need) to be an Issaries or Chalana person, that's in no way departing from one's mainstream gender role. Of non-warrior cults that would be demarcated as "normally male", only Odayla and Heler spring to mind.

> So I think Vingans represent far less than 5% of the adult population.

Either way one interprets it, however I don't see how it's reasonable to conclude that Vingans are just a small minority of this small minority; it's certainly not as if there's any other single cult which is obviously like to be larger among the non-85%ers.

Slainte,
Alex.