Internal vs External Chaos?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 98 18:54 MET DST

Daniel McCluskey
> While Kazkurtum might not be much of a chaos fighter, Orlanth (also
> considered an "other" of sorts) is, so I don't think that argument
> is especially valid.

As I understood GRoY, Kazkurtum is the "empty" portion of Yelm, the Void or Chaos portion. Not at all known as a chaos fighter because Kazkurtum was the chaos fought by Shargash. Thus I reckon it is true that the mainstream Dara Happans - and possibly other Pelorians, excluding the Alkothi - internalize chaos rather than externalize it.

> This doesn't by any means "prove" that Yelm has any special Chaos
> resistance, but seems to imply that he might.

He is one of them already.

> Is there something about being "Solar" that transferrs some
> resistance to Chaos?

If there is, the Yelmalians may share it, but all they manage is to avoid being killed. My best bet for this something is Illumination.

> Is it just solar? or does "large, Celestial object" grant
> chaos-resistance...

In a wider sense, the Lunar and Solar powers aren't that different. Sedenya started out as a Solar power, and the white moon may become one again, too.

> I was just thinking about Boztakang's Blue Moon connection...
> Is it odd, or meaningfull that the Greatest Uz chaos-fighting
> hero has Lunar connections?

You could ask why it is odd that it took the trolls' greatest chaos fighter to come to an agreement with the Blue Moon...

Although I suppose that the trolls internalize chaos as much as they externalize it. Zorak Zoran is the Black Eater, a dark (chaos) horror from the deepest pits of Subere, possibly deeper.

> Given Rufelza's ability to control chaos, it is not unreasonable
> to suspect that something about being "lunar" grants chaos
> resistance as well...

Not resistance, acceptance, and therefore less outwardly warping. The inside however...

> If it turns out that "Celestial" isn't the key (ie Yelm is just as
> succeptable to chaos as anyone), maybe it is Illusion that is the crux >
of successful Chaos-Fighting? That is the only other link I can think
> of between BS and the Red and Blue moons.

Usually it is assumed that Disorder works so well against Chaos because the two are so alike, sometimes indistinguishable.

Illusion is not known for any special powers over chaos, not even over disorder.

Keith Nellist

>>From the Fortunate Sucession, page 23, Aniresty, Lord of War:
> "These enemy hated an enemy called Chaos. They said our Nysalor was Chaos."

> This is concerning the invasion of Dara Happa by barbarians (mostly
> Orlanthi presumably).

A fair share of Orlanthi and Praxians - the latter mainly bison and sable.

> This implies that Pelorians do not even know what "Chaos" is.

I don't think that Wakboth figures greatly in their mythology, unlike in Orlanthi or Praxian myths. I doubt they appreciated the Unity Battle much, either - it seems to have turned an advancing chaos army back into Peloria. This chaos army and troll armies scavenged on Peloria while Shargash experienced death, and all people remember is that they were eaten while they had little to eat.

I'm a bit curious how the Praxian-descended Yelmites of Kostaddi changed this outlook. To them, Ragnaglar was the brother of Storm Bull (who's Orlanth?), and Wakboth was slain if not for good then for sure in the Devil's Marsh. Nysalor can't have been all bad, after all he subdued the troll raids from Dagori Inkarth and subdued those pesky Orlanthi of Dragon Pass as well - they were in it for the plunder, not for the cause, although the chaos threat added religious justification.

> I was under the impression that Illumination freed you from the
> view that tentacled slimy chaos was necessarilly morally evil even
> though it might do bad things.

I don't think you need illumination to get this view, only a certain set of morals. I'm not even sure where the Praxians stand in this...

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #182