Yelmalio and Antirius, cross cultural deities

From: Chris Bell <sartar18_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 07:19:31 PDT

I've been reading GRoY lately, good stuff. I've been thinking lately about the mythic relationship between Yelm, Antirius and the southern genertelan Yelmalio. Not being one as much for theory as "How does this work in a game", I ponder these questions and ask these to the digest -

How would one represent Antirius and his Cult in RQ3? From the sense that I got from GRoY, Antirius is what most people worship when they actually worship "Yelm" in Dara Happa, and that the true Yelm cult is pretty unapproachable. Everyone worships a cult that is fitting for their social class - Lokarnos for merchants, Buserian for Priests, and so on.

I have the impression that there wouldn't be as much intra-cult mobility as their is in the south. For example - nobles worship Yelm via Antirius, and to do otherwise would be to violate the divine social order. Likewise, if you're a peasant, you worship Lodril, and no one else.

Here's a list of Dara Happan cults and the roles PC's would take in them.

Dara Happan Cult     PC Role     GoG Equivalent
Yelm/Antirius        Noble/Ruler Yelmalio? (sans Geases?)
Pole Star            Soldiers    Yelmalio (w/group military magics)
Lodril               Peasants    Cult in GoG
Dendara              Wife Goddess(None Equivalent - Dendara in
GoG isn't quite correct, IMO. Dendara isn't an Earth Goddess. She'd more be a solar wife goddess. I'm not sure what magic she'd provide. Perhaps spells which increase harmony and well being in the home, like a "Home Harmony" spell? Her "Bless Hearth" magic would stay, of course.) Shargash Soldiers/berzerkers? Storm Bull? (instead of Orlanth, I see more similarity between the Storm Bull myths and Shargash's as opposed to Orlanth, although Orlanth's journey into Dark Hell also has parallels to the Enclosure myths. For RQ3 details, I'm sure that Shargash's magics would be totally unlike any Theyalan deity's. I'll look out for the PDP version of Shargash!)

The White Lady, presumably Chalana Arroy, is also briefly mentioned in GRoY. I'm interested in starting as a topic for discussion here on the digest. Chalana Arroy is at least one deity that crosses cultural boundaries...another seems to be Lodril, who is honored both in Esrolia and Peloria.

Post away, Digesters!

Chris Bell
argrath_at_ix.netcom.com