Re: Internal vs External Chaos?

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:54:57 EDT

> Keith Nellist
> >>From the Fortunate Sucession, page 23, Aniresty, Lord of War:
> > "These enemy hated an enemy called Chaos. They said our Nysalor was Chaos."
> >
> > This is concerning the invasion of Dara Happa by barbarians (mostly
> > Orlanthi presumably).

> > This implies that Pelorians do not even know what "Chaos" is.

Perhaps they never heard that word before. In KoS, in the earliest myths what we now call Chaos is called "Predark". Possibly "Chaos" was a Ralian word for it, popularized by Arkat's army (possibly even Seshnegi or Brithini, a now-unused synonym for Krjalki), run through Kerofini accents, and heard by Dara Happans. As we only have the English translations we can't be sure WHAT was said.

All the multi-lingual Orlanthi who could have explained things had probably already been wiped out when their Overseer (DH view) was defeated, after promising that his Orlanth Emperor rite would tame the hill people forever.

> I'm a bit curious how the Praxian-descended Yelmites of Kostaddi changed
> this outlook. To them, Ragnaglar was the brother of Storm Bull (who's
> Orlanth?)

Orlanth was well known as the chief of the Councilic pantheon (aka, the LightBringers) even if they didn't worship him, just as most European Christians know who Zeus or Thor were. On the other hand, to say that their Nysalor was somehow the same as Ragnaglar (or the Devil That The Storm Bull Killed, whatever name they used by then) would seem utterly ridiculous to them.