The EWF in Prax.

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:59:53 +0100

Lots of good stuff coming up here for Sun County, but there seem to be some people confused about basic assumptions. So if you don't mind, I'll go back to the beginning and see if we're all making the same ones.

David Weihe says: Pavis Within the Walls was never part of EWF

Don't follow your use of "part of". Pavis was founded by the EWF. Old Pavis is base on Auld Wyrmish. When Jaldon attacked Pavis, the EWF sent a relief army. Jaldonw as eventually cursed by the EWF. It's geographically a bit distant, but how much more "part of" do you want?

Sun County origins: without having sources in front of me, these people were invited in from Dragon Pass (at that time dominated by the EWF) to aid an EWF city. They differed only from standard EWF in their tendency to sun worship. This at the time when the Darra Happan Emperor had more scales than the norm: Yelm as Dragon, in fact.

It looks to me as if Sun County was founded by worshippers of the Sun Dragon, and was supported by the EWF. When Pavis fell, the "Solitude of Testing" began, as they were cut off from the EWF in the midst of EWF-hating nomads. (Not sunhating.  Several Praxians tribes worship sun gods).

I don't see any reason myself why Sun County should "throw off" EWF influence before this: they needed it too much.

We have a gap of a century or so between that and the Dragonkill. And we know that the Templars fought the dragons, and that the Sun Dome was destroyed by dragon-fire. I've never believed that story about Yelmalio accidently wiping out his own temple doing a DI, myself, unless he holds the record for Most Incompetent God. It looks to me as if during those years, Sun County did a change of religion. To Yelmalio, presumably. (Introduced by the Elves of the Garden?) But Yamsur, if he did a DI at all, did it to Sun Dragon: and Sun Dragon was a little pissed off with Sun County at the time. So he deliberately destroyed his own temple: and the New Sun Dome was built to a different god.

The Towers for dragon-defence sound so wonderful that they must be true, and fit quite nicely into this period: before or after the Dragonkill. Wasn't there a Count known as Wyrmslayer??

Anyway, after that we have wyrm-worship raising its head and being squashed throughout Sun County history, as often as the plot requires. Including, of course, that conspiracy of Daystar's in Pent Ridge. Long robes hide tails.......

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/